Key features of the Bush Preschool approach include:
• Children spend regular periods of time in unstructured or semi structured play in natural environments all year round
• Children experience the daily and seasonal fluctuations in weather and seasons
• No toys will be included in the Bush Preschool experience. Children will be encouraged to play with whatever nature has provided and leaving only a footprint behind.
Current research on children who regularly play in outdoor natural settings has concluded that they have:
• Increased confidence, motivation, concentration and resilience
• Increased social, physical and language skills
• Deeper conceptual understanding and respect for the natural environment
• Mud, sand, water, leaves, sticks etc. can stimulate children’s immune systems making them sick less often
• Children are more physically active and more likely to be a healthy weight
• Children are more resistant to stress, have lower incidence of behavioural disorders, anxiety and depression, and have a higher measure of self-worth
• Bush Preschool deepens the children’s understanding of community and where they fit in and offers better opportunities for children to be present and authentically engaged in real life experiences
• Encourages a well-connected, cohesive community that is environmentally aware
Bush Preschool operates in Term 2 and 3.